The Sun Belt Conference has had better weeks. Along with Idaho’s 45-33 loss to Western Michigan, the rest of the conference failed to win and Sun Belt teams went 0-10 in week three. With no conference games this week, all 10 of 11 schools playing lost in non-conference games.
Georgia Tech (3-0) 42 — Georgia Southern (1-2) 38
- GSU trailed 35-10 at half, but scored 20 unanswered points in the third quarter to make it a game. GT buckled down in the fourth and scored a touchdown to secure the victory.
- GSU quarterback Kevin Ellison had himself a day in both passing and rushing. He completed 7 of 10 passes for 164 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 107 yards and one touchdown.
- The two teams combined for 1,064 yards, with 641 of those yards coming on the ground.
Air Force (2-1) 48 — Georgia State (1-2) 38
- Air Force got out to a 28-7 lead and despite a good comeback effort, Georgia State could not make up the difference.
- GSU quarterback completed 26 of 42 passes for 414 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
Miami (2-1) 41 — Arkansas State (1-2) 20
- It was tied 7-7 with nine minutes left in the first quarter, then Miami went on to score 20 straight points.
- Miami true freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya finished 16 of 24 for 342 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.
Mississippi State (3-0) 35 — South Alabama (1-1) 3
- It was close for a little bit, but MSU scored 28 unanswered points to close out the game.
- MSU quarterback Dak Prescott passed for 201 yards and ran for 139.
- It wasn’t all bad for USA. Wide receiver Jereme Jones caught seven passes for 76 yards — I know grasping at straws.
#14 Ole Miss (3-0) 56 — Louisiana-Lafayette (1-2) 15
- It was 28-0 before ULL scored on a field goal with just under two minutes left in the first half.
- ULL quarterback finished with three interceptions.
Abilene Christian (1-2) 38 — Troy (0-3) 35
- Troy lost to Abilene Christian, which is apart of the FCS Southland Conference.
- The game was close and tied at 28-28 going into the fourth quarter. Then Abilene scored a field goal at the six minute mark and a touchdown with a minute left to put away Troy. The Trojans scored a touchdown with 20 seconds left, but it would be for nothing.
#10 LSU (3-0) 31 — Louisiana-Monroe (2-1) 0
- ULM handed Idaho its first loss, but was handed its first loss in a short road trip to Baton Rouge to play LSU.
- After impressive games against the Vandals, ULM quarterback Pete Thomas and running back Centarius Donald were shutdown by LSU. Thomas passed for only 77 yards and Donald rushed for just 24 yards.
Navy (2-1) 35 — Texas State (1-1) 21
- Navy led 28-0 before TSU scored a touchdown late in the first half.
- TSU quarterback Tyler Jones finished 24 of 36 for 231 yards with one touchdown and interception apiece. He also added 82 rushing yards with one touchdown.
UTEP (2-1) 42 — New Mexico State (2-1) 24
- NMSU led 10-7 in the first quarter, but then UTEP went on to score 21 unanswered points.
- UTEP finished with 470 total yards, with 344 of them coming from the running game.