About four months have passed since the Vandal football team wrapped up its 2014-15 season. It was a 1-10 campaign everyone throughout Vandal Nation would probably rather forget — a perfect cure for it, though, might just be some Vandal spring football.
When the team takes the field 3:30 p.m. Wednesday out on the SprinTurf, it will mark Idaho head coach Paul Petrino’s third spring with the program. With 19 seniors from last season’s team gone and myriad of players departing from the program this offseason — including wide receiver Richard Montgomery and quarterback Chad Chalich — positions will be up for grabs and competition will surely be at a high level.
A few story lines to keep an eye on:
- The quarterback competition between sophomore Matt Linehan and redshirt freshman Jake Luton.
- The returns of wide receiver Dezmon Epps and linebacker Chris Edwards (he played safety when he was with the program last season but is listed at linebacker on the updated roster).
- The offensive line competition, as Idaho will need to replace three senior starters from last season.
Spring football consists of 15 practices and will conclude with the annual Silver and Gold Spring Game, which will take place 6 p.m. Friday on April 24th in the Kibbie Dome.
Here is a schedule of all the upcoming practices, which will take place on the SprinTurf or inside the Kibbie Dome:
- Wednesday, March 25 — 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 27 — 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 28 — 10 a.m.
- Monday, March 30 — 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 1 — 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 4 — 10 a.m.
- Monday, April 6 — 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 8 — 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 11 — 10 a.m.
- Monday, April 13 — 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 15 — 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 17 — 4 p.m.
- Monday, April 20 — 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 22 — 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 24 — 6 p.m. (SPRING GAME)
If there is a certain position group, player or anything in particular that you’d like us to keep an eye on, leave a comment below or send us a tweet — @VandalNation.
Korbin McDonald can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org